The following list of patient rights is not intended to be all inclusive, Patients receiving care at SSASC have the right to:
Access to care
- Patients have the right to access necessary surgical and/or procedural interventions that are medically indicated.
- Patients, family members, and/or designees are included in ethical discussions of and decisions affecting the patient’s care.
- Marketing or advertising regarding the competence and capabilities of the organization is not misleading to patients and/or support persons
Respectful and considerate care
- Patients will be treated with respect, compassion, and consideration in a clean and safe environment.
- Patients are treated with dignity and without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or source of payment.
- The patient has the right to be free of restraint except when indicated to protect the patient or others from injury.
Privacy and confidentiality
- Patients have the right to every consideration of personal privacy.
- Any patient case discussion, consultation, examination, and treatment will be conducted so as to protect each patient’s privacy.
Information about treatment
- Patients have the right to information about their illness, treatment options, and potential outcomes.
- Patients will receive information as necessary to provide informed consent for any planned procedure.
- Patients have the right to consent or decline in research affecting their care.
- Communication aids (i.e., interpreters, pictures, sign language, etc.) are provided to patients who have language barriers.
- Patients have the right to information prior to the day of services regarding the center’s fees for services and payment policies.
Refusal of Care
Patients have the right to refuse care to the extent provided by law and to be informed of the potential consequences of this refusal.